I am sure I have aristocratic blood - MagpieMonday

Firstly I want to reassure Liz from MagpieMonday who had a bit of a wobbly moment last week, that I did not feel at anytime, under any pressure to shop for this weeks post.  I will let you all into a little secret - I am a shopaholic ! There I said it, I feel so much better for that.  Sadly, I was unable to find anything to fit in with the red or comic relief theme, but I did find something that made me smile (a lot really, but  probably only Helen @icklebabe_com  will get the joke).

I have to say I've been on a role until this week, finding bargain after bargain for silly money.  I think my luck might just be running out (although we had a great morning at the boot sale yesterday, will post about those items at a later date) 

There is a link between this weeks finds (tongue firmly placed in cheek) - as I have always believed I was not born to be poor (which sadly I am) I must imagine that I am instead from impeccable breeding !

My first find this week

This beautiful Enlgish Bone China cup and saucer from the Althorp Estate for £1.  Its absolutely devine, fine, fine china with a beautiful rose and the motto of the Althorp Family.  I have never visited Althorp as I can't bare the thought of Princess Diana being so close and dead.  I idolised her when she was alive and to this day I feel so sad about her death.




My second find was an amazing handmade Liberty of London Guests and Menus book.  I found it at the bottom of a box of handbags would you believe! when I first spotted the iconic material, I thought, this has got to be some fake bag, when I pulled it out I was thrilled to find this fantastic book, in immaculate condition and unused!  for 50p woop!  Can't find anything about this book online so if anybody has any ideas would love to know.  I might even pluck up the courage to contact Liberty themselves.







Imagine having the kind of lifestyle that requires you to have a book in which to plan your guest lists, menu and wines !

My third find (which is the joke part for Helen, who is the most amazing cook and is always telling me to cook stuff for my man)  It seems I may actually have aristocratic blood which is why I have an aversion to cooking like the wonderful Duchess of Devonshire.  She doesn't cook but wrote a cookery book!  How fab is that !  I found her Chatsworth cookery book as I was browsing the shelves for blue books!  Yes, I really do look for books with blue covers.  Hubby is building me a bookcase for our living room and I want to have lots of gorgeous old books with blue, white or pale spines.  I know, humour me, I might actually be loosing the plot.  I am hoping it will look fab when finished.  Anyway that's another story.  Sooooo this particular book had the most beautiful cover when the dust cover was removed.



It also had lots of lovely receipes (The Duchess of course has a staff of chefs to do her cooking)  and this one in particular caught my eye on the same day that I think I was talking to Helen and several twitter peeps about homemade soup !




Don't forget to pop over to see what the other great MagpieMonday peeps have thrifted this week.