Hidden History




Out treasure hunting I am always on the lookout for old picture frames I can upcycle into
chalk or pin boards.  Sometime ago I came across this pretty one ata bootsale.  I wasn't too impressed with the naive little painting but was drawn to the frame. 


This weekend whilst looking through my stash of frames I selected it to use on a project.  First job, remove the back.



Its clear that this is old, looking at the wood and the nails.  Curiously the nails were set at an angle which enabled me to "turn" rather than having to remove them to get the back off.

Piece of old brown paper, nothing unusual in that.




Removing the brown paper, what looks like the back of a photograph.  Ohh Exciting !  Can you see the newspaper peaking out of the bottom left corner ? 





OH WOW!  Look at this little bundle.



Look at the pig cut out of newspaper !  An old photograph, a letter, 2 more newspaper cuttings, a card and an evensong Christmas eve service card.



I absolutely love it when I find treasure like this.  Many times when I am treasure hunting at bootsales or recycling centres I come across lots of very personal family history items.  It always makes me really sad that they end their days amongst piles of plastic rubbish,usually thrown away with house clearances etc.  All that family life, discarded.  I have a collection of photographs and small personal pieces I have been unable to throw away.




Are these Mr Howell's Grand Parents Stanley and Bessia Spuele  as mentioned in the letter ?












A cutting about the man who painted the picture the Bishop R Westall.

A


I think I'll do a little research and see what else I can find out about the Bishop, Mr Howell and his grandparents.