Front Door Makeover


How long have I been married ? and blogging ?  and how often have I reminded my husband to PLEASE take before photographs if he is going to embark on some DIY when I am out !
  I came home from work last week to discover not only had my husband started on the door makeover he had all but finished it.  Sadly no pics to show what the door looked like before, except for the one below which is a reflection of the glass of the door as it used to be.  I was not a happy bunny.


We replaced the existing front door not long after we moved into the house as the original 1930s door had been replaced sometime in the 60s/70s with glass panels.  Not suitable at all when you have twin babies.  We purchased a 1930s reproduction (you can see it above in the reflection). It suited the house but after 10 or so years I was bored of its "ordinaryness" and longed to replace it with something more in keeping with the lines of the 1930 art deco house.   Most of the doors I fell in love with cost in the region of £300 - £600 way out of our price range.  The only option we had was DIY.




Its amazing what a can of paint and some vinyl window film can do.  Well, actually there was a bit more too it than that.  Hubby even very cleverly managed to take the curve out of the top of the door where the stained glass panel had been.  He is a very useful man to have around.


I 'm really pleased with how it turned out and it really makes a big improvement to the front of the house.   I particularly love the number 89 on the window panel.  This turned out much better than I expected.  We purchased the vinyl film from Purlfrost an online window film supplier.