Trend - Decorating the house for autumn


Autumn is here (despite the glorious weather).  Always in the past one of those seasons for me that was just the in between stage from the fun of summer to the excitement of the buildup to Christmas in winter.
  I've noticed of late though, far more Autumnal decorations appearing in the shops and online and not just in preparation for Halloween.  Could we be getting a new trend in the UK for decorating our homes as they do in America ?    The colours of autumn are not my most favourite, it has to be said.  I am not a lover of browns and oranges but I have managed to find some great ideas for adding a subtle hint of autumn to your home without going overboard on these colours and without costing too much.



The two images above are from my Pinterest White Autumn    board and are easily achieved without having to spend too much.  I love the idea of a leaf garland.   These can be really easily made with real leaves and twine or string.  Just tie the stems or stick the leaves.  Obviously, if using real leaves they will dry out after a couple of weeks or so.  Same idea applies to the cones, which will last longer and look great tied to jugs like in the pic above or just piled around the bottom of candles or in glass jars to display. Both quick and easy ways to add an autumnal touch to your home.



 Another quick, easy and effective decoration is the autumn wreath.  These can be displayed in your home or on your front door.  This easy tutorial is courtesy of Yvonne Seddon on Pinterest

Take a strong wire and bend it into a circle. "impale" the leaves in the wire. Fill it as full as you can. Bend the ends of the wire circle into hooks and hook onto each other to close the circle. Also, you can dip each leaf in paraffin wax so that their colours last. Use paraffin, as bees wax and normal 'white' wax put a milky coating over it. 



I love this idea !  found on Countryliving.com




 I've been lusting after white pumpkins for as long as I can remember !  Very hard to find in this country and certainly not available in the shops as decorative items.  The shops are awash with the orange variety, both real and ornamental.  But I want WHITE.  Only thing for it, make them myself.  I will be doing this shortly.  Here is a great idea for making pumpkins look like they are mercury glass.


Apparently you spray them white first and then paint them with paint used for mirrors !  I will certainly give this a go and report back my results soon.




 How about shimmery acorns for a clever decorating idea.  These are available on Etsy from The Midnight Orange shop.  But with a bit of paitence and a steady hand I am sure they could be made at home.  They are made using real acorn tops and polymer clay nuts that are then painted.  Genius !




I have loads of lanterns and glass Storm jars in my house.  Its such a quick and easy thing to do to just change the contents to suit the seasons.


Mason jars (or similar) are also now very popular in the UK.  This is a quick and easy idea to add a seasonal hint to your home.

Most of these images have been taken from my White Autumn pinterest board.  Do pop over for more ideas.  Hope I have inspired a bit of Autumnal decorating.  I will be back soon with a post on how I have decorated my home for the season.