Tidy, Tidy, Tidy


January is one of those months, when the weather is usually awful and we don't have any money, so staying indoors is a much easier option.  Its the perfect time to sort out all the post Christmas clutter and tidy it away freeing the rest of the year up to hopefully, spend more time out and about.  
I'm not the kind of person who is happy to have stuff lying around all over the house, it has always irritated me and probably goes back to my days in the army and my mother, whose motto was "a place for everything and everything in its place".



I recently selected this gorgeous Hydra storage chest from the Wayfair website which fits in perfectly with my home style and is versatile enough to be used in any room in the house.  I tried it out first in this space at the bottom of the stairs.  Desperate for additional storage for my growing collection of vintage soup and vegetable tureens, it's the perfect cupboard to house them.  





My only concern with it situated in the doorway, was it might get knocked by my darling sons as they dash around the house.   So maybe a re-think.  After the recent renovation of the kitchen/ dining room there is nowhere suitable in there for it to sit without it looking out of place with all the other storage. I tried it in my bedroom where it looked wonderful under the window and was perfect for housing my spare cushions and seasonal bedding and throws.  But decided in the end that the hallway was the perfect place for it.



Its stylish look fits in perfectly with the hall stand and our up cycled coat hooks (made from a bed head, incase you were wondering ).   The entrance to our home looks lovely (most of the time) except for when everybody decides to remove their shoes and leave them where they took them off !  With five of us in the house, sometimes it hard to even see the floor.  So the hydra is the perfect stylish solution to the problem. 


Enough room on top for all the school bags and space underneath for more shoes !


OK so  I have shown the inside with just a couple of pairs of shoes just to make the photo look pretty. But there is ample room to pile the shoes in and easily takes care of our shoe storage dilemma.  We are planning to re-tile the floor this year, which will really do justice to this lovely piece of furniture.



Always on the lookout for stylish ways to store household items, I also chose this beautiful Tescoma storage container to use as a salt box.  it fits in the space perfectly and works really well with the other storage items on my work top.

in collaboration with Wayfair