Thrifty bedroom makeover


My bedroom has always been a bit of a dumping ground for laundry, stock and generally stuff that I just didn't want to look at.  I have tried over recent years to regain some order, especially as I am often sent bedroom related items to review.  
The room just never seems to look co-ordinated even when I have lovely bedding and new lamps.  I recently exchanged my old hand me down curtains for some gorgeous Grey blackout curtains found for a song at TK Maxx, the only problem, was the rest of the room was blue and white including the large art canvas I painted last year.



I was galvanised into action to try to make the room look at least presentable when I recently agreed to show my home to a lady who represents interiors magazines.  I have been contacted a lot in the past to have our home featured in a magazine but have never felt it was actually up to competing with the beautiful homes you see featured in these type of magazines.  The lady assured me that from what she had seen of my blog it certainly was.  Anyway the dilemma, I only had a few days to clean up and sort the house out and I knew the bedroom was a disaster area with mismatched bedding, curtains, lamps etc !  Nothing for it but a trip to my fail safe shop, The Range.  I can find something at a bargain price there and I wasn't disappointed.  I decided as I already have the grey curtains,  I needed to find something co-ordinating for the wall, maybe some cushions and hopefully a couple of cheap lamps to replace the blue and white ones (which could then be moved into the living room ).


First absolute bargain find were these glass and metal lamps with grey shades for a super price of just £10.99 each (sadly not on the range website ) They are lovely quality and look far more expensive than they cost , which lets face it is the price of a good bottle of wine !


By using smaller lamps on the bedside tables, they look less cluttered and there is plenty of room for my books and candle (which smells gorgeous even when unlit).  Flowers are a must when I can afford them, even just one bud in a pretty vintage glass bottle.



The absolute bargain find of the day and the one piece that pulls the whole look together is the gorgeous Enchanted Forest canvas which I also found in The Range, tucked away on a top shelf, when, in my opinion it should have pride and place in a display in the store.  I think they would have an immediate best seller if they displayed it properly with some co-ordinating accessories.  I couldn't believe my luck when I saw it.  It had the perfect colour combination for the look I was trying to achieve.


The Enchanted Forest canvas is huge and looks like it is hand painted (its not).  The greys, whites and subtle pale green and lilacs are total perfect and it cost just £21.99 ! I mean £21.99 !!! How insane is that.  It looks every bit an expensive and quality piece of canvas art and I LOVE IT.


I already had the white bedding which was part of  a review I did with Christy bedding.  all I needed to finish the look was some grey cushions.  Unfortunately, The Range didn't have anything suitable so I popped over to Next where I found these perfect linen look cushions for £12.99 each complete with pads.  I am really pleased with how these few simple changes have pulled the whole room together for a total cost of just under £70 !  The room looks lovely and was ready in time for the visit of the lady from the magazine.  I'll let you know how we get along with that one and whether we actually make it into a glossy interiors magazine.