Garden Makeover Plans

Photo : ATGStores.com

After twelve years of living in our home we can finally turn our attention to the garden renovation.  The winter is a perfect time to sit and plan how we would like to makeover the garden.
 I always say how lucky I am to have a hubby who can pretty much turn his hand to all kinds of DIY, it saves us so much money.  We would never be able to achieve the look I am planning if it wasn't for his skills.


The photo above shows the view down into the garden from the house.  As you can see it has been pretty much neglected since we moved in whilst we concentrated on bringing up our young family and renovating the house  .  It's a great space though and has a lot of potential.  Hubby has already started building my "she shed" on the left at the bottom of the garden.  Our current plan is to build a decking from the doorway of the shed across to the right side of the garden.

                                                    Photo : MKM building supplies

Hubby is confident he will be able to build seating similar to the above photo on the decking, along two sides of the fence at the bottom of the garden.  I think it will look great all painted the same colour.  We will then get cushions made to make it a more comfy area to sit and enjoy the last of the sunshine at the end of the day.

I really, really want a concrete wall at the bottom of the garden.  I think they look amazing, are stylish and easy to maintain.  My husband does not agree.  He prefers to continue the wooden fencing.  Because we live in a 1930s art deco house, I think the concrete would really compliment the garden and the modern style we are going for.  Looks like I won't be getting my way on this one though, hubby is adamant it would be too difficult on our budget, so I have been looking at alternatives to the standard style wooden fencing.

SORRY FOLKS PHOTOS REMOVED 

I like the idea of horizontal wooden fencing which we can paint to match the shed and the decking.  I might be able to incorporate some smooth surfaces to break up all the painted wood.  We will have to see.



I'd also like to have simple, stylish planters.  I'm not a lover of fussy, flower filled gardens.  For me a garden is to be enjoyed and not slaved over, so for me,  this would be the perfect solution.  The plan is also to build a fire pit like the one at the top of the post, again hubby thinks this is a relatively simple process. 



Further up the garden we plan to dig up the exisiting patio and replace it with modern tiles.  I'd like to go for large slate grey tiles similar to these above.  They give a wonderful feeling of space and luxury.  They will probably be the single most expensive purchase for us.



The plan is to also erect a sail shade from the side of the garage to the opposite fence.  This part of the garden gets the sunshine during the hotest time of the day and is also the place we want to have a large family table and chairs for outside dining.   Sail shades are a stylish and practical form of shade cover.




 I am starting to get just a little bit excited about the prospect of not only finally having a finished home, but also a beautiful garden. Hopefully we will have the weather to start enjoying some outside living and finally relaxing and enjoying  all our spare time.  Might have to think about selling up and starting the whole renovation process again .....

Watch this space.