Embracing the dark side


I love white, its a fact.  Always have , always will, but lately I have found myself in need of an injection of  colour into my home.  
The living room in particular has a stunning painting hubby and I bought when we first married.  It has the most beautiful blues.  I've always loved the pop of colour against all the white but slowly more blue has been creeping in.


I added cushions and then some beautiful sky and cloud plates I found at a bootsale which perfectly compliment the painting.  Oh, and of course, the blue books on the bookcase !  I know, I have a problem, colour co-ordinated books and all of them are about DIY, homes, interiors, designers or styling.  I search them out whenever I go to the charity shops.


A few months ago whilst wandering round a local independent sellers market I came across these perfect tiles.  All hand drawn and glazed.  At the moment I have them propped up on the mantle but plan to mount them into frames and hang them soon.  Created by a super talented lady called Emma West I would strongly recommend you pop over to her site and admire her beautiful work.  Again the subtle pop of blue in the tiles is just perfect.



On holiday this year I spotted this lovely little Japanese serving bowl in Disney's Epcot !  Another blue and nautical beauty to sit alongside the one below.



This weekend I was out and about with a few hours to myself and decided to have a look at one of my favourite independent stores, always great for a good mooch about.  When I saw the chest of drawers above, I knew it was the perfect colour and size for the living room.  It was also the perfect price.  I picked it up for £99 ! 


The only problem is the lamp is all wrong.  The proportions don't work, so I am currently on the lookout for something else to take its place.  I definitely  need to have light in that corner for the evening and think a low level, smaller lamp would be better suited.


I really love the colour of the chest though.  Sadly my phone camera does not do the rich, deep blue colour justice.  It has also been really well painted which is so important.  So many people think just painting a piece of furniture is all you need to do but this item has been painted well and waxed to give a gorgeous finish.


This shot gives a slightly better idea of the colour.  Its a wonderful rich, deep blue that really compliments the ticking curtains.


Tried to take a panoramic shot on the phone of the room.  Not too bad.