Top tips for a bedroom worthy of a magazine



image SHOPHADLEYDESIGNS

I am always really flattered when people comment on my home but more often than not they follow the statement with "I could never keep my home so neat and tidy" .  Believe me, I don't spend every waking hour cleaning and tidying my home, I think I've just learnt a few tricks over the years.

One room I really think its important to keep looking good is the bedroom.  I spend so much time in my bed and its important to me that my bedroom looks and feels like a nice space to spend time.
So here are my top tips to achieve a magazine worthy bedroom without spending a lot of money :

1.  HAVE A THEME

By that, I don't mean everything matching like a child's Disney themed room.  Its not even about the colours you choose , its about how everything looks together.  Do they compliment each other ? How does the room look as a whole ?  Do you love everything in the space ?   The latest Trend to hit interiors is Wabi Sabi, the Japanese view that there is beauty in all things imperfect, incomplete and  transient.  But even this decorating style has its theme.


image mylovt

2. STORAGE - CLEAR CLUTTER

The key to a room you love to spend time in has to be no clutter or mess.  Nothing stresses me more than piles of clothes on chairs.  I have plenty of "stuff" I just shove it away in built in wardrobes, under my bed or in my free standing wardrobes.  If I can't see it, then its not irritating me !
Much to the annoyance of my husband, I regularly change my free standing wardrobes to suit the colour of my room !  I buy them secondhand from local charity shops or online selling sites and give them a lick of paint and new handles. I find older pieces of furniture not only often have far more character to them, but can also hold a lot more.



3. COVER IT

If like me you absolutely hate ironing and have far better things to do with your time, don't waste it ironing your duvet covers.  I absolutely hate the look of creased bedding (unless its 100% linen) so I  buy beautiful throws and blankets to lay over the top (don't tell my mother).  This not only covers up the creased duvet covers but also means I can change the colour scheme and the look of the room as often as I like.


image MoMo Pom


4. LONG CURTAINS

Apologies if you have short curtains that end at the window sill, but the easiest way to create a an expensive and designer look to a room is to have full length curtains.  They need not be expensive either.  I have large windows in every room in my house and to create a feeling of quality I always buy several pairs for each window to give a feeling of fullness and quality.  Contrary to what many people think, they also do not block out the heat from under window radiators.


Image : FineandFrench


5. LIGHTING

I think its really important to have a great statement ceiling light fitting as well as bedside lamps.  There are so many affordable lighting choices available now on the  high street and independent stores, it should be easy to make a room look stunning.  I must admit to having a real problem though finding the perfect bedside lamps that not only look good but also fit on my small bedside cabinets.  My husband thinks that lighting should be purely functional, I on the other hand think its vital that they are also decorative.  To date, I think I have had about six different sets of bedside lamps, its ok though, because when I get fed up of them I just sell them on !   I don't think to achieve a good look in your room that bedside lamps have to necessarily match either.


6. MIRRORS

Again, so much choice available now with mirrors and they can truly complete the look of your bedroom if you choose the right style and display.  Mirrors can be decorative as well as practical.  They can be used to reflect light and add the illusion of space to a room.  Large ornate mirrors will make a room look expensive and need not cost a fortune.  I have found many of the mirrors in my home at boot sales or flea markets and picked them up for a few pounds.  I currently have a display or hexagonal shaped ones on the wall in my bedroom which cost me less than £15 for the lot.



7. A CHAIR

If you can fit one in your room, the right kind of chair will always add to a bedroom.  Beware not to use it as just another place to throw your clothes though.  Painted or upholstered make sure it matches with the theme of your room.   I particularly love a bench at the end of the bed, practical and pretty.



image  LMK Interiors

Hope I have managed to help if you were looking for a little inspiration.  What do you think is an important element to creating a magazine worthy bedroom ?